Women’s Health Clinic in Santa Clara, CA
Women’s health clinics are essential for women’s well-being. At Getwell Urgent Care, our experienced staff offers screenings, family planning services, and every kind of treatment for women. Contact us today or schedule an appointment online. Visit our clinic conveniently located at 2803 E El Camino Real Santa Clara, CA, 95051.
Table of Contents:
Women’s health services are an essential part of health care. While they are mainly provided at obstetrician-gynecologist clinics, some family doctors and urgent care clinics also specialize in providing women’s health care services. Learn more about women’s health care below!
Women’s health comprises a variety of different healthcare services and areas of medical specialty, including but not limited to:
• Birth control and contraceptive services
• Breast cancer, ovarian cancer, and other cancers involving the female reproductive system
• Gynecological care, including things like pap smears, testing for sexually transmitted infections (STIs), breast cancer screening, and other services
• Menopause and hormone disorders
• Pregnancy, childbirth, and postpartum services
Additionally, some conditions that are included within the umbrella of women’s health care affect all genders. However, those conditions tend to affect women and those with female reproductive systems at a higher rate or with more severity. Some of those conditions include:
• Heart disease
• Depression and anxiety
• Autoimmune diseases, such as lupus, multiple sclerosis (MS), or type 1 diabetes
While there are many more than five women’s health concerns, here are five of the most common concerns that women and individuals with a female reproductive system deal with:
• Heart disease: Heart disease tends to affect women at a disproportionate rate for reasons that are not entirely clear. That said, menopause and post-menopause are understood to be risk factors for developing heart disease. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) report that heart disease is the leading cause of death among women, accounting for 20 percent of all female deaths in 2019. Some ways to reduce your risk of heart disease include eating healthy, exercising regularly, quitting smoking or never starting, and prioritizing self-care and stress management techniques.
• Breast cancer: Of all cancers that women experience, breast cancer is the most common. Breast cancer can also occur in men but is far rarer. In women, breast cancer can occur at any age, but the risk of it occurring increases as you get older. It usually develops in the ducts and lobules within your breast. The most significant risk factors for breast cancer include family history and hormone disorders. It’s important to have routine mammography screenings when you’re eligible for them.
• Cervical cancer: Cervical cancer only affects women and those with a female reproductive system. As such, it is a unique condition within the scope of women’s health. It is also a significant cause of cancer across the world. According to the World Cancer Research Fund International (WCRF), cervical cancer is the seventh most common cancer worldwide. Routine screening with pap smears and testing for human papillomavirus (HPV) is crucial for the prevention and early detection of cervical cancer.
• Osteoporosis: Osteoporosis is a condition characterized by weakened bones so they are more prone to fractures. Biologically, women and individuals who go through menopause tend to be at higher risk of osteoporosis because the hormone changes that occur during that life stage tend to affect bone density. According to the National Osteoporosis Foundation (NAF), 68 percent of the 44 million Americans who deal with osteoporosis are women.
• Reproductive health issues: Women and those with female reproductive systems deal with many unique reproductive health conditions. Some of those conditions include endometriosis, polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), uterine fibroids, and others.
Women and those with female reproductive systems deal with many unique health challenges that require women’s health experts who fully understand those challenges and know how to treat them in skillful, safe, and effective ways. Furthermore, historically and in different societies, the specific concerns of women and those with female reproductive systems have often been ignored or overlooked in healthcare settings, causing such individuals not to receive the right care.
For these reasons, women’s health care is important, as it ensures women and those with female reproductive systems receive the care they need for their various health concerns.
In general, it is a good idea for any woman or person with a female reproductive system to have an obstetrician-gynecologist (OB-GYN) they can see on a semi-regular basis for screening or whenever they experience issues related to women’s health. That said, there are times when such issues require urgent care, and cannot wait for the next appointment with your OB-GYN. In these cases, you should visit an urgent care clinic that specializes in providing women’s health services.
We’re proud to provide women’s health services at Getwell Urgent Care in Santa Clara, California. Our providers can diagnose and treat various women’s health issues with skill, compassion, and care. Feel free to give us a call. We also welcome you to schedule an appointment if you have a specific medical concern you’d like us to attend to. Visit our clinic conveniently located at 2803 E El Camino Real Santa Clara, CA, 95051. We serve patients from Santa Clara CA, San Jose CA, Campbell CA, Cupertino CA, Sunnyvale CA, Milpitas CA, Fruitdale CA and surrounding areas.